- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 cups Medjool dates, pitted and chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 cup dairy-free milk (e.g. Homemade Nut Milk)
- 2/3 cup sucanat
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons aquafaba
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour boiling water over the dates and soak for at least ten minutes.
- Combine flour, sucanat, baking soda and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl and stir.
- In a second mixing bowl, add vinegar and dairy-free milk then whisk vigorously.
- When frothy, add applesauce and aquafaba and stir.
- Drain dates and fold them into the bowl along with the walnuts. Add extra dairy-free milk if the batter appears dry.
- Pour nut bread mixture into a 9×5 inch baking pan.
- Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Note: Aquafaba is the liquid that most people discard from canned beans (aqua = water, faba = bean). If using canned chickpeas, drain and collect the bean liquid and proceed with the recipe. One can yields ~3/4 cup (or 9 tablespoons) aquafaba.