- 6 cups no oil marinara sauce
- 1 cup pine nuts, raw cashews or hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup low sodium miso
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup low sodium tamari or raw coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 boxes no boil rice lasagna noodles
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced olives, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 2 pounds frozen, chopped spinach*
- 2 pounds sliced mushrooms
- 2 ounces fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Faux Parmesan
- Make the filling in a food processor fitted with the “S” blade by adding the beans, 2 ounces of basil, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup each lemon juice, miso and nutritional yeast, 1 cup of pine nuts and 1/8 of a teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Puree until smooth. Add drained spinach or kale and process again.
- In a large non-stick sauté pan, sauté the onion in 2 tablespoons of water until translucent, about 8 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Add garlic, mushrooms and tamari and sauté until browned. Taste mixture, adding chopped garlic and more tamari as you like. Cook until mushrooms appear to be glazed and there is no more liquid left in the pan.
- Pour 3 cups of the sauce in a lasagna pan or 9×13 inch pan. Place one layer of the no boil noodles on top. Cover the noodles with half of the bean/spinach mixture, then with half of the mushroom mixture. Place another layer of noodles on the mushroom mixture and add the remaining half of the bean/spinach mixture and the remaining half of the mushroom mixture. Place one more layer of noodles on top of the mushroom mixture and smother evenly with the remaining 6 cups of sauce. Sprinkle the sliced olives on top of the sauce along with a liberal sprinkling of faux Parmesan.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 375°F oven for an hour. Let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
Note: If you have time, marinate the sliced mushrooms in tamari or raw coconut aminos several hours in advance or even the night before. Make sure that the top layer of noodles is fully covered with sauce.
*2 pounds frozen spinach can be replaced with 1 pound frozen kale, defrosted and drained with all of the liquid squeezed out.