- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quinoa flakes*
- 1 cup matzo meal (or 1 1/2 cups quinoa flakes for a gluten-free version)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, cover the quinoa flakes with the water. Let stand for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Stir in the matzo meal (or additional quinoa flakes for gluten-free), salt, pepper and onion powder. Mix until well blended. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Just before baking, preheat the oven to 275º F.
- Roll the matzo meal mixture into approximately 1 inch balls; don’t pack them too firmly. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, carefully turning the matzo balls after 10 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch; don’t let them brown.
Note: If making ahead of time, let the matzo balls cool completely, then cover until needed. Warm them briefly in a medium-hot oven or in the microwave, and distribute them among the soup bowls, allowing 3 or 4 matzo balls per serving.
*Ancient Harvest is a popular brand of quinoa flakes. If your local natural foods retailer doesn’t carry them, they can order a box or two for you or look for them online.
Reprinted with permission, © 2011 by Nava Atlas, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photo by Susan Voisin.