- 2 cups almond milk
- 4 to 6 tablespoons sucanat
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped or slivered
- 1 tablespoon almond slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron (6 strands)
- In a bowl, stir the rice flour into 1/4 cup of the almond milk, stirring until there are no lumps. Add the saffron strands to the remaining almond milk.
- Combine both the milks in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, 6 to 7 minutes. The mixture will thicken into a custard.
- Add sucanat and reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Dry-roast or lightly toast the nuts in a pan.
- Top the pudding with the roasted or raw pistachios and almonds. The nuts can also be folded into the pudding before serving. Serve warm or chilled.
Note: You can vary the recipe by adding 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, 1 teaspoon rose water, or any spices of choice like ground ginger, cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice.
Recipe from Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen Copyright © 2015 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press, LLC