- 3 1/2 cups Homemade Nut Milk or store-bought plant-based milk
- 3 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup hearts of palm, cut into rounds
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Cashew Cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons flour, whole wheat or gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons garlic, fresh, minced
- 1 teaspoon miso paste, light
- 1/2 teaspoon kelp granules
- Liquid smoke, to taste (optional)
- Sourdough bread roll (optional, to serve)
- Warm a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté celery, carrot, onion, garlic and 1/4 cup vegetable broth until onions are soft and translucent and most of the liquid has reduced.
- Add white wine and continue to simmer until liquid has reduced by half.
- Add 2 cups vegetable broth and bay leaf. Simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes then add 3 cups plant-based milk and 1/4 teaspoon kelp granules.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, boil water and cook potatoes until al dente.
- In a small bowl, create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup plant-based milk with 4 tablespoons flour. Stir slurry into the pot of vegetables and plant-based milk, then increase heat to medium, stirring occasionally until the liquid thickens.
- Add Cashew Cream and miso and whisk to combine.
- Reduce heat to low. Add potatoes and cook 10 minutes, then add 1/4 teaspoon kelp granules and liquid smoke (optional) and continue simmering for 15 minutes.
- Add hearts of palm and cook until warm, about 5 minutes. Serve in regular or bread bowl.
To serve in a bread bowl, cut the top off a sourdough roll, remove the bread on the inside, and toast bowl and ‘lid’ at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.