- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
- 1 cup date paste
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba*
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)**
- Preheat oven to 370°F.
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients: date paste, applesauce, bananas, aquafaba and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt (if desired).
- Add wet ingredients to bowl of dry ingredients and mix until well combined (but avoid over-mixing).
- Add optional walnuts and/or chocolate chips (if desired) and stir.
- Pour batter into a nonstick loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely (about 20 minutes). Then use a knife to loosen the edges and slide the loaf out of the pan.
*Aquafaba is the viscous liquid in which canned legumes (e.g. chickpeas) have been cooked. Three tablespoons is equal to one egg or one egg white.
**This small amount of salt will help to make the bread less sweet.