“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength,
the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”
The desire to dream is universal.
Dreams form the basis of all change; they unlock our potential and make the world a better place.
Dreams are really important, so today we are here to commemorate World Dream Day.
Established in 2012 by an instructor at Columbia University, World Dream Day is a special holiday that encourages everyone (individuals, schools, businesses, and communities) to stop and focus on their dreams.
The theme for 2017 is “Reimagine the Dream.”
It is an invitation to join in on a collective reimagining of all the possibilities for ourselves and our communities—to think hard about what we need to discard and what we must embrace in order to make our dreams happen.
But being inspired by a dream is never enough.
The real challenge is how to transform those beautiful ideas into reality.
That is why World Dream Day is also a day of action—a moment to make tangible plans to ensure our visions are actually realized.
Why Do So Many People Fail to Follow Their Dreams?
It is so easy to say, “Follow your dreams!” But why is it that so many people fail to do so?
In part, it is because life ‘gets in the way.’
We get busy. Responsibilities and bills pile up. Sometimes we struggle to get through the day, let alone make headway on our bigger goals.
So how can you avoid having your dreams disintegrate into wishful thinking?
Through taking ACTION, and the best way to do that is by establishing GOALS.
As Tony Robbins rightly says, “Goals are dreams with a deadline.”
Dreams give us our vision and inspiration; goals are the vehicle by which those dreams come true.
Turning Dreams Into Reality
Here are five actionable steps for turning your dreams into reality:
- Be Precise About What You Want: Be crystal clear about what it is that you would like to accomplish. Create a detailed description of your vision and include in it how you will feel once you have achieved the dream. Make sure to put it in writing!
- Break Goals Into Manageable Steps: Once you have a goal, divide it into an action plan. Every single step should have a specific time frame and deadline.
- Measure Your Progress: Establish concrete criteria for measuring your advancement toward the goal. This will keep you on track and also allow you to see how far you have come.
- Slow Down: As we discussed when we talked about habit change, you should aim to change one behavior at a time. Sometimes when we go slower, we arrive at our destination faster.
- Be Accountable: Invite a friend or family member to keep you motivated and responsible for the action plan you have created.
Build Your Dreams With Good Health
I once heard that good health is the foundation upon which all life dreams are built.
That really struck a chord with me.
What we eat and how we look after ourselves is the fundamental point of departure. Without it, we are unable to get to where we want to go.
This also reminds me of and observation made by John James Brown (pen name James J. Lachard) when he said:
“Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
To live a truly successful life, our health must be our top priority.
How Can You Celebrate World Dream Day
Here are some ideas for participating in World Dream Day:
- Visit the World Dream Day site. Take advantage of their free tools and resources, including live seminars, downloadable documents, and inspirational materials.
- Invite family and friends over to talk about and share your dreams.
- Lead a workshop to inspire people to identify and actively pursue their dreams.
- Host a Dream Dinner with plant-based food that will boost your health and encourage conversations about dreams and goals.
Need inspiration for your Dream Dinner?
Try our recipe for Garlic Tomato Spaghetti!