Who can resist a warm slice of banana bread?
Nothing is quite as delicious.
Part bread, part cake, a small portion of banana bread is a ‘little piece of heaven.’
When made traditionally, it is far from healthful—but banana bread can be prepared in a more nutritious way without sacrificing flavor.
But before I share my favorite whole food, plant-based banana bread recipe, let’s first talk about banana bread in general—in honor of the upcoming Banana Bread Day!
The History of Banana Bread Day
February 23rd is officially Banana Bread Day, created to celebrate the delicious tradition of this beloved treat.
Banana bread has been around since the 1870s when bananas were first introduced into the United States.
However, the national obsession with banana bread took off much later, during the Great Depression in the 1930s.
At that time, people had few resources and were forced to stretch every ingredient to the maximum. Banana bread was no exception; it turned out to be an amazing way to avoid wasting overly ripe bananas.
Not surprisingly, it was in the 30s and 40s that banana bread began to appear in the nation’s most popular cookbooks. Ever since, the delicious bread/cake concoction has become a staple in most recipe collections.
An American classic was born.
How to Make a More Healthful Banana Bread
And as long as you prepare it in a wholesome way (i.e. without eggs, refined sugar or flour), it may be an acceptable plant-based breakfast or afternoon snack.
Here are some tips on how you can make your traditional banana bread recipe more healthful:
- Replace refined sugar with date paste, a natural, unrefined plant-based sweetener.
- Swap enriched white flour for whole wheat pastry flour to get the benefits of whole grains.
- Use applesauce instead of oil.
- Add in some chopped walnuts for flavor and for an added nutritional punch.
How to Celebrate Banana Bread Day
- Learn More About Bananas: We often take this fruit for granted, but the banana has a lot going for it. Read about them and discover more ways to incorporate bananas into your diet.
- Host a Tea Party: Invite family and friends for tea and a slice of delicious banana bread.
- Try a New Recipe: Here is one of my favorite recipes for Blissful Banana Bread. The various better-for-you swaps make it more healthful, and the taste is out of this world!
However you choose to celebrate, enjoy a happy and wholesome Banana Bread Day!