Congratulations! You’ve decided to change your eating and transform your life!
Here is our favorite list of resources for people starting out on a plant-based journey.
The list has been selected from some of the brightest, long-standing spokespeople and players in the plant-based field. From websites to books to recipes, we have collected many of the vast resources from years of partnerships with the great champions in the plant-based arena. We understand that resources in this field are ever evolving so if you feel we have missed any important additions, we’d love to hear from you.
This web site (and Facebook page) comes straight to you from the makers of the documentary film of the same name, which everyone who eats should watch! You’ll find tons of great stuff including:
- The #1 food and drink app with over 180 plant-based recipes and a personalized shopping list.
- Up-to-date information from doctors working in the field of nutrition and integrative medicine including Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr., and Dr. John McDougall, among others.
- True stories from others who have made the successful (and delicious!) transition to plant-based living.
Dr. John McDougall is a physician and nutrition expert who has been studying, writing and speaking out about the effects of nutrition on disease for over 30 years.
- The doctor’s FREE online program contains everything you need to successfully change your diet and lifestyle and regain control of your health and appearance.
- The cookbook app! It’s so easy-to-use and includes health tips, a meal finder and shopping list feature.
- Join the doctor’s Facebook page for lively discussions and frequent updates.
Learn about plant-based nutrition from the author of The China Study.
- In-depth articles from experts on everything from heart health to plant-based nutrition to vitamins and supplements.
- Tons of FREE videos! Tips of the Day, Dr. Campbell’s controversial “Provocations” series and compelling interviews with patients, nutritionists and more. Plus, really cool movie trailers from documentaries featuring Dr. Campbell’s work.
Backed by the irrefutable results from Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr.’s 20-year study proving changes in diet and nutrition can actually reverse heart disease, you’ll find:
- News you can use, including studies on diet and health and the doctor’s speaking engagement calendar so you can find an event near you.
- The entertaining and informative video, “An Evening with the Esselstyn’s”, plus FREE videos including Dr. Esselstyn’s Ted Talk and testimonial from former President Bill Clinton, who credits the doctor with changing his life!
- A fully updated DVD, which contains the same material as his live seminar.
Dr. Michael Greger is a physician, author, and speaker who scours the world’s nutrition research to bring you FREE daily videos and articles. Plus, he donates all proceeds from his books, DVDs, and speaking to charity.
- New video posts on the Facebook page every other day. Videos are closed-captioned and the transcripts are also published. Very handy!
- Ask The Doctor: Dr. Greger answers health and nutrition questions from video and blog comments. Join the conversation and have your questions answered, too!
- Over 1,800 health and nutrition topics from A-Z.
The Physicians Committee is at the forefront of a medical revolution—putting a new focus on health and compassion and dramatically changing the way doctors treat chronic illnesses.
- Breaking medical news and health topics from arthritis to diabetes to hormone therapy to migraine headaches and how foods can contribute to – or cure! – ailments.
- FREE monthly 21-Day Vegan Kickstart program based on Dr. Neal Barnard’s research.
Created by Rip Esselstyn, a former world-class professional tri-athlete, and the son of Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., this site is all about fully embracing tasty, nutritious, whole, plant-based foods without sacrificing energy, stamina or fitness.
- Getting Started section for anyone looking for advice, ideas and more.
- Get fit, get inspired and get fired up with the FREE nationwide Engine 2 Challenge!
- Check out all the super-nutritious and super-yummy recipes to fuel your body.
Dietitian and nutritionist Jeff Novick’s insightful and humorous approach to nutrition and health has helped thousands worldwide make the transition to healthy living. Find:
- Q&As about plant-based nutrition and healthy living (Jeff is also a moderator on Dr. McDougall’s forum discussions).
- DVDs to help you learn to choose and cook nutritious food.
Julieanna Hever is a passionate advocate of the miracles of a whole food, plant-based diet. She’s the host of Veria Living Network’s What Would Julieanna Do? and author of the best-selling book, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition.
- Julieanna’s blog helps you keep up on popular nutrition news.
- Her vast resource section is an exhaustive list of books, cookbooks and web sites to help you become the herbivore you want to be.
- The Starch Solution – Dr. John McDougall’s ground-breaking book dispels the myth that starch is the enemy! It also contains the 100 most popular recipes published and tested by the McDougalls throughout the years.
- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn’s wife, Anne, and daughter, Jane.
- The China Study by Drs. T. Colin Campbell and Thomas Campbell. This book sparks the desire to transition to and is the foundation for a plant-based lifestyle to many people, myself included. A must-have for your library and your life.
- The Forks Over Knives Plan by Drs. Alona Pulde and Matthew Lederman. There’s also an app, which costs a little, but is worth a lot!
- The Vegiterranean Diet by Julieanna Hever, which contains some of THE very best Mediterranean recipes – cooked with NO OILS!
- Let Them Eat Vegan by Dreena Burton. Her recipes are some of the best in the world. So delicious and satisfying! In her new book, Plant Powered Families, Dreena shares over 100 whole-food, vegan recipes – tested and approved by her own three children.
- The Happy Herbivore cookbooks – Everything from holiday cooking to recipes from abroad, Lindsay Nixon’s recipes will make you happy, too.
- Plant-Powered Kitchen – Dreena Burton is mother to three hockey-playing girls and wife to a hockey-playing husband. She knows what it takes to cook delicious, healthy plant-based foods for active children and adults. Follow her on Twitter to see pictures of the lunches she makes for her girls to take to school.
- Forks Over Knives – Over 230 FREE and delectable plant-based recipes! Just choose what you’re in the mood for from wraps & burgers to salads & sides to amazing grains. They also publish 1-2 recipes per week. If you sign up for their e-mail list, you’ll get those, too.
- The Happy Herbivore – Simple, easy-to-follow recipes for beginners and everyone else. Lindsay posts tons of free recipes and is always creating new ways to help people transition to a whole food, plant-based diet.
- One Green Planet – They post recipes every day! They also gather information from other websites on “food themes” like the best vegan cheesecake recipes and recipes for a vegan Thanksgiving. That way you can look through all the recipes and pick the one you think you’ll like best! One caveat: many recipes might have oils and such, but they’re easy to modify.
- The Engine2Diet – Rip was a professional athlete on a plant-based diet. This is a great resource for people who need healthy foods that provide lots of energy.
- The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine offers a delicious Recipe of the Week, which includes a nutrient analysis for each recipe.
So now all you need to do is Read. Cook. Eat. Enjoy!
And to make it easier, we’ve put all the resources above into an Ultimate Resource Guide PDF for you to download here, and we’ve even made it into a printable placemat!