- 1 1/4 cups gluten free oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 8 ounces pitted dates
- 4 ounces sulfite-free dried apples
- 1 tablespoon alcohol-free pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 1 cup date paste
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 3 pounds apples
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon alcohol free vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a high powered blender grind oats and seeds. Transfer to a food processor fitted with the “S” blade.
- Add the spice and dried apples and process until they are finely ground. Add dates, a few at a time, until mixture starts to stick together and you can clump it together easily into a ball. Then add vanilla and briefly process again.
- Evenly press mixture into a 9-inch spring form pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chia seeds and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Peel apples and finely chop. Stir in date paste, spice and vanilla. Add chia seed/lemon juice mixture and mix well. Pour evenly over crust. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake at 350°F degrees for 50 to 55 minutes until coconut starts to brown.
- Delicious served hot, warm, cold or at room temperature, with or without Pear Whipped Cream.
Note: To finely chop the apples you can use a tool like an Ulu or Mezzalune or briefly pulse in the food processor fitted with the “S” blade.