- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/8 cup of water
- 1 medium bunch or 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon white miso, low sodium (optional)*
- 2 pounds summer squash, zucchini or yellow squash
- Wash basil by swishing leaves in water and dry in salad spinner or between paper towels.
- Turn on food processor and drop in garlic until minced. Turn off food processor and add basil. Continue processing, adding water, miso* and nuts through feeder tube until mixture is creamy but not completely smooth.
- Store pesto in refrigerator in a jar covered with a thin layer of water on top.
- Cut squash into julienne either with a mandolin, by hand or with a food processor.
- Place squash in a mixing bowl. Toss with pesto and serve.
*If leaving miso out, substitute 2 tablespoons of water with lemon juice.