- 2 ripe pears, sliced*
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
Basic Thick Cashew Cream**
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 3-4 hours
- 1/2 cup water, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 baguette bread, whole wheat, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together balsamic, water, and maple syrup in small bowl. Add sliced pears and toss to coat.
- Place pears on a baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes, tossing about halfway through and watching near the end to make sure they do not burn.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
Basic Thick Cashew Cream
- Drain cashews, add to a blender with nutritional yeast, miso paste, and minced garlic. Blend until smooth.
- Add guar gum and blend on low for 30 seconds then high for 60 seconds.
- When pears are removed from oven, place baguette slices on baking sheet and toast for 3 minutes.
- Top toasted baguette slices with a smear of Basic Thick Cashew Cream then 1-2 roasted pear slices. Serve.
*Pears, including Asian pears, are a good option in the winter, while in the summer you can substitute for peaches.
**Recipe makes 1 3/4 cup. Unused cream can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 2 months.