- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1/2 cup pasta of choice
- 1 garlic clove, whole
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Dash liquid smoke, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet, then add diced butternut squash and whole garlic clove. Roast 30-40 minutes or until fork tender (squash), flipping halfway.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. When cooled, pop garlic clove out of the peel.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Transfer squash and garlic to a blender with all remaining ingredients except liquid smoke and hot sauce.
- Add liquid smoke and hot sauce (to taste) and blend again.
- Drain pasta and return to pot. Add the desired amount of sauce and stir to combine.* Cook until heated then serve.
*Depending on your preferences, you may have remaining sauce. If so, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.