- Orange Marinade
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Several grindings of black pepper
- Roasted Tofu
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 8 to 10 baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 2 (14 to 16 ounce) tubs extra-firm tofu
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water or white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Cut each block of tofu into 8 slices (about 1/2 inch thick) crosswise. Blot well between several layers of paper towel or clean tea towel.
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Arrange the tofu in a single layer on a parchment-lined roasting pan. Spoon the marinade generously over the surface of the tofu. Roast for 15 minutes, or until the tofu begins to turn golden.
- Carefully flip the tofu with a spatula, and spoon more marinade over the surface (you will likely have a bit left over). Roast for 15 minutes longer, or until the tofu is firm and golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the water or wine in a small skillet. Add the carrots, garlic, almonds, and sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently, until both are golden. Remove from the heat.
- When the tofu is done, transfer to a rectangular or oval serving platter or two, depending on their size, with the slices slightly overlapping one another. Sprinkle the carrot-almond mixture evenly over their surface, followed by a sprinkling of parsley. Serve at once, passing around the additional marinade to those who’d like more of it.
Reprinted with permission, © 2011 by Nava Atlas, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photo by Susan Voisin.