- 1 3/4 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 1 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup arrowroot
- 3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Line a 6-cup or standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, potato starch, cocoa powder, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, and xanthan gum.
- Add maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla, and hot water. Stir until the batter is smooth, adding hot water as needed.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter into each prepared cup, almost filling it.
- Bake the cupcakes on the center rack for 20 minutes, rotating the pan 180 degrees after 15 minutes. The finished cupcakes will bounce back when pressure is applied gently to the center.
- Let the cupcakes stand in the pan for 20 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack and cool completely.
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- In a food processor add pumpkin, cocoa, maple syrup, and almond butter; blend until smooth.
- Spread frosting over cooled cupcakes.
- Transfer to a refrigerator to set for an hour before serving.