- 2 cups almond milk
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry (or gluten-free) flour
- 2 cups ‘buttermilk’
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba (‘bean water’)
- 4 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons date sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine almond milk and lemon juice.
- Set bowl aside for 10 minutes.
- Place aquafaba in a separate bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Add vanilla, applesauce, and buttermilk and continue to mix.
- Add the flour, date sugar, baking powder, and baking soda; whisk until blended.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high. Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter onto griddle for each pancake.
- Cook until the tops of the pancakes are covered with tiny bubbles and the batter is set, about 4 to 6 minutes. Flip pancakes and cook until the undersides are golden brown, about 4 minutes more.
- Repeat with remaining batter.