- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms, thick stems removed
- 1 cup forbidden rice, cooked
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup raw beets, grated
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse black beans and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Mash them with a fork.
- Process walnuts (or pecans) in a food processor. Add them to the mashed black beans.
- Process shiitake mushrooms in a food processor. Mix them with forbidden rice, beets, spices and all other ingredients.
- Chill mixture for 15 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator to thicken. Form patties with hand.
- Wrap patties individually to freeze, or
- Bake patties at 375˚F for 25 minutes. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes and serve.
Note: If grilling, cook patties on non-stick foil on pre-heated grill until golden brown on each side.